At Markham Woods Animal Hospital, we prioritize your dog's well-being with compassion and thorough wellness exams to maintain their optimal health.
Our dedicated veterinarians perform comprehensive wellness exams that, coupled with your input and observations at home, help identify potential health issues your dog may face. To ensure your beloved canine enjoys a longer and higher quality of life, we recommend scheduling annual wellness exams, although older pets or those with health concerns may require more frequent check-ups.
During a Wellness Exam:
- You have the opportunity to discuss any concerns about your dog's health with our experienced veterinary professionals.
- We address a wide range of topics, including nutrition, allergies, dental care, mobility issues, infection risks, and lifestyle and age-related changes crucial for your dog's well-being.
- Our veterinarians offer their expertise, encouraging open discussions about all aspects of your pet's medical and wellness health.
Our Canine Wellness Exams Consist of the Following Key Components:
- A comprehensive physical examination encompassing dental and body/muscle assessments.
- Evaluation of your pet's coat, skin, eyes, ears, nose, throat, heart, lungs, legs, paws, abdomen, gastrointestinal system, and urogenital system.
- Tailored canine vaccines to maximize disease protection while minimizing unnecessary vaccinations.
- Internal parasite prevention to safeguard both your pet's and your family's health.
- Effective flea and tick prevention to combat troublesome skin parasites and disease transmission.
- Heartworm prevention, a critical safeguard against a preventable and potentially life-threatening disease.
- Dental examination and preventative dental cleanings to maintain your dog's oral health.
- Nutrition and diet guidance tailored to your dog's specific needs.
Vaccines have proven important in preventing serious disease in dogs and cats. We design a personalized vaccine protocol for each dog, maximizing protection against the diseases your pet is likely to be exposed to while using the fewest vaccines possible. Our current vaccine recommendations are based on up-to-date research and the incidence of disease in our area. During your pet’s exam we’ll ask you questions to assess your pet’s individual risk, based on his/her lifestyle, and then design a customized vaccine protocol. This can be modified as needed when that lifestyle changes, so be sure to let us know so we can keep your pet protected!
Internal Parasite Prevention and Control:
We emphasize the importance of parasite prevention not only for your pet but also for the well-being of your family.
Fleas and Ticks:
Our hospital offers safe and effective products to treat and prevent flea and tick infestations, ensuring your dog's skin health and overall protection. Fleas and ticks are troublesome parasites of the skin. Flea and tick prevention is important because these pests not only cause problems with the skin, but they also possess the ability to transmit a number of diseases to the dog. Fortunately, there are many safe and highly effective products available that will treat and prevent flea and tick infestations. Regular use of one of these products will effectively prevent fleas and ticks from becoming a problem for your pet!
Our team guides you in choosing the most suitable heartworm preventative products and plans, offering exceptional protection against this potentially deadly disease. Heartworm is a worm that resides in the heart and lungs of infected dogs. It is transmitted by mosquitoes that transmit heartworm larva from dog to dog when bitten. These larva then develop into adult worms that over time cause heart disease and respiratory problems in dogs. Fortunately, this is a preventable disease, and there are a number of excellent monthly heartworm preventatives available. These products, when administered year-round, provide outstanding protection against heartworm disease. Our team will help guide you through which product and prevention plans are best suited for you and your dog!
Professional Dental Cleanings:
If recommended during the wellness exam, our veterinary professionals can provide professional dental cleanings to maintain your dog's oral health.
Nutrition and Diet:
For comprehensive information on nutrition and diet counseling, please visit our " Diet and Nutraceuticals " services section. Your dog's well-being is our top priority , where we provide compassionate care and comprehensive services to keep your pet as healthy as possible.